What is “positive ageing”?

    Positive ageing is about maximising the quality of life and wellbeing of older people, recognising that ageing is not just about physically getting older but the context in which people get older. This includes recognising changes in our physical abilities, social connections, employment, and family situations, and finding the positive and rewarding experiences within these transitions.

    This approach encourages us to live vibrant lives at all stages, by maintaining good health, staying mentally and physically active, continuously learning, and being socially engaged. It's about enjoying new experiences such as developing new skills, forming new friendships, volunteering in the community, pursuing hobbies, and visiting new places.

    Positive ageing also emphasises the importance of older people’s contributions to society, and it encourages continued participation in our community. It is about being resilient during challenging times, staying connected, sharing experiences, and participating in activities that contribute to a healthier and happier life.

    Why is Council expanding its Positive Ageing service?

    Our goal is to strengthen our support of older residents. We want our services and facilities to better meet their needs and interests.

    We will assist older residents to understand and access the systems and services they need, ensuring these services are of high quality, responsive, and inclusive. This initiative is part of our commitment to make our community a great place to grow older. Our service will not have age limits or specific criteria. Once fully staffed, Whitehorse will have one of the largest Positive Ageing teams in Victoria.

    I used to receive help at home from Council, who should I now contact for these services?

    If you formerly received services from Council’s Home and Community Services team, you should already have information about transitioning to a new provider. You should contact them with enquiries about your service from now on.

    If you did not transition to a new provider, you should contact My Aged Care or phone 1800 200 422.

    If you are unsure about what to do phone Council on 9262 6110.

    Who can I contact for aged care services?

    For aged care services such as help at home, short term care, aged care homes or any other questions please contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

    What does "age-friendly city" mean?

    An age-friendly city makes life easier and better for older people. It does this by designing policies, services and programs that focus on the needs of older adults. In such a city, older people can live safely, easily use buildings and services, enjoy safe and welcoming outdoor spaces, and feel part of the community.

    Whitehorse City Council promotes an age-friendly community where the physical, social and mental wellbeing of older people are promoted and strengthened.

    Council values the many older people who live, work, study, and volunteer within the municipality, and encourages older people’s contributions and participation in the day-to-day life of the community.

    A wide range of initiatives, partnership opportunities, services, facilities and activities are provided for older people by Council, including:

    How will my feedback be used to help expand Council’s Positive Ageing service?

    Your opinions and suggestions are vital to help expand our Positive Ageing service. Here’s how well incorporate your feedback into our decision-making process:

    • We’ll analyse all feedback to better understand common themes, needs, and ideas. This will highlight what matters most to our community about positive ageing.
    • Then we'll use your feedback to guide the design of our Positive Ageing service. This could mean adapting existing services or developing new ones based on what the community has told us they want.
    • Lastlywe'll share how community feedback has influenced the Positive Ageing serviceYou'll be able to see the impact of everyone’s contributions and how they have shaped our expanded Positive Ageing service to help meet the needs and expectations expressed by you and other community members.

    I don’t speak English well. How can I fill out the survey?

    If you don’t speak English well or at allwe can arrange an interpreter who speaks your language to speak with you. We use the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National).

    Phone Council on 9262 6333 and follow the prompts to speak to an interpreter in your language.

    We want everyone to be able to share their thoughts easily. Let us know if you need any more help.

    My relative doesn’t speak English well. How can they fill out the survey?

    If you have a family member or friend that doesn’t speak English well, please encourage them to participate in our survey. We want to hear from everyone in our community, especially people from linguistically and culturally diverse backgrounds.

    As a start, see if you can help your family member or friend fill out the survey. Or we can speak to your family member or friend on the phone with an interpreter who speaks their language. We use the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National).

    Phone Council on 9262 6333 and follow the prompts to speak to an interpreter in your family member or friend’s language.